Finals Review- 2021
1. What are the two purposes of God’s Word? To know Him and reestablish a relationship with Him
2. What is the main message of the New Testament? What does it mean? Jesus is Lord and sovereign over my life.
3. Why are we obligated to submit to God as our ultimate authority? He is our creator
4. According to Deuteronomy, what are two responses to God’s being Lord and also show that we are a true disciple. Love for God and obedience to His word.
5. Define Salvation – Restoration from the fall because of Jesus’ work on the cross.
6. Define Sanctification: Christian Growth, Christlikeness
7. Define Justification- A sinner is righteous before God. God Credits His righteousness to sinner
8. Define Regeneration- A heart made alive again to God.
9. What are the three steps for studying scripture? Observe, interpret, apply
10. Three attitudes you need in order to be able to observe well? Willingness, exactness, persistence/ Definitions and comparisons/ Apply
11. What is the three-point outline of the big story of scripture? Creation/Fall/ Redemption
12. In one sentence, summarize what the Bible is the true story of? What God is doing to glorify Himself and redeem His fallen creation.
13. Who is ‘ in Adam” and who is “in Christ”? Believers/ Unbelievers
14. What are the benefits of being “in Christ”? God counts you righteous/ Strength to do right/ Reign with Him forever
15. What is the great conflict through the ages? Who are these two groups? Seed and Serpent / Believers and unbelievers.
16. What were the Jews expecting Jesus to be/so? Free them from Roman oppression. Political leader
17. How do we know that the Servant Isaiah talks about is Jesus? Fulfilled prophecy
18. What has not yet been fulfilled concerning the land promise in the Abrahamic covenant? Complete possession of land forever.
19. God’s redemptive plan unfolds through what covenants? Abrahamic, Mosaic, Noahic, Davidic and New
20. What Does Matthew’s gospel focus on? Christ’s fulfillment of covenants
21. What are the 4 major divisions in the New Testament? Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation
22. What is the incarnation? Became flesh
23. Why is it important that Jesus is fully human? To be a perfect sacrifice
24. Why is it important that Jesus is fully divine? Only God could appease God’s wrath
25. Did God choose Mary because she was Holier than any other young women in Israel at that time? No
26. Why did the angel tell Joseph to call the child Jesus? Means Salvation
27. What is the importance of Jesus’ mission in relation to the Davidic Covenant? Jesus fulfills it by ruling on the throne of David forever
28. What does Galatians 4:4 mean when it says that God sent His Son “ when the fullness of time was come” ? God had guided events throughout history to prepare for Jesus Unique entry into the world at just the right time
29. Describe the repentance that John the Baptist calls for? Internal change of thinking and attitude and turn from sin.
30. How does Jesus’ Baptism show us that there are three distinct members of the Trinity? Jesus, Dove as Spirit and voice of God the Father
31. Why was Jesus successful in resisting Satan’s temptation? He followed the Spirit and quoted God’ s word.
32. What was the primary purpose of the miracle at the wedding in Cana? Lead people to believe in Him, especially disciples
33. What was the original purpose of the temple? God’s presence dwells there. Worship
34. What were the people doing that profaned the system? Making money off the sacrificial system
35. What was Jesus’ purpose in clearing out the temple?
Restore to original glory
36. What does it mean that each believers body is a temple of the Holy Spirit? Bought with a price, does not have authority over own body, must submit to God.
37. What does the “acceptable year of the Lord” mean? Kingdom of God has come
38. Why didn’t Jesus read the whole passage from Isaiah’s prophecy? It was the time for salvation not vengeance.
39. What was Jesus purpose in His first coming? Salvation
40. What did Jesus imply when He gave the examples of the Gentile widow who was fed and the Gentile leper who was healed? Gentiles were more likely to respond to Jesus’ message
41. Why did the people respond so negatively when Jesus gave these examples? They felt He was saying they were worse than Gentiles and they hated the Gentiles.
Section 3.1 and 3.2
BLESSED ARE THE ………
1. Poor in Spirit- page 73- They recognize that in their spirt ( inner person) they don’t have anything they can give God to buy or earn His favor. Humble people who know they have a spiritual bill to pay.
2. Comfort those in Mourning (page 73) They mourn because of their own sin and this causes them to repent and turn from sin. They mourn because other people sin against them.
3. Meek will inherit the earth- To be meek is to be gentle, humble and considerate when
4. others do wrong or slander us.
5. Hungering for righteousness- ( page 76) They want to be righteous and they want to bring justice, or righteousness to the world.
6. Merciful- Don’t give other people what they deserve.
7. Pure in Heart-Page 77- A heart free from contamination. A pure heart wants God and wants to please God.
8. Peacemakers- When God’s people proclaim the gospel message and call people to submit to God, they make peace between God and man. Right now, making peace happens one person at a time.
9. Reward for persecution- You will be persecuted!!! We will be hated because of Him. Get ready for an awesome reward.
What does it mean that Jesus fulfilled the law? He obeyed it a and showed what the law was pointing to, Its original intent.
What promise did God make that would enable his people to become perfect? Internalize the law and the Holy Spirit
What is always at the heart of murder? Anger
What should you do if someone else is angry at you?
Contrast Jesus teaching of adultery with what was commonly heard and taught ?
Most agreed adultery in the physical sense was wrong. Jesus taught that the internal lusts were just as wrong and adulterous. Even thinking about adultery was sin.
What did Jesus really mean when He talked about gouging out your eye or cutting off your hand?
You should take radical measures to get rid of sin in your life.
What was the intended and original purpose of the Old Testament law about an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth?
To limit punishment
Identify three ways you can follow Jesus’ teaching about how to respond to enemies.
Bless those who curse you.
Do good to those who hate you.
Pray for those who persecute you.
What should motivate giving to the poor? What is the evidence of that right motivation? A love forGod translating into a love for those in need. Give in secret, privately or anonymously.
How should we pray? How should we not pray? Talking to God as a person about your needs. A genuine desire to speak to God. We should not have prayers full of meaningless repetition. Prayer isn’t a ritualistic formula or magic words.
Know the paraphrase and the meaning.
Make your name Sacred- Treat as holy
Rule over all- To return to earth and rule over all things. It is also asking for God’s Kingdom to grow and progress on earth before the end comes. We want others to become Kingdom Citizens.
Let Your Plans Be Carried Out- Thy will be done. You are asking for a gift of willingness. We should respond to His will quickly, Sweetly and completely .
Provide what we need today. Pray for everyday food . It should also prompt you to remember that all your needs are met by God and come from His hand. If God removed His hand, the whole nation would fall apart. He provides for our physical needs for food every day.
Cancel our debt for us- forgive us our debts means the forgiveness of our many sins. We can only ask with the measure we are willing to forgive others.
Protect us from Sin- Real Christians don’t enjoy sin for very long. True saints long for the day when they will never sin again. As a part of the New Covenant we have God’s Spirit living inside of us to change us.
Why should or shouldn’t you fast? To Genuinely spend more time with God. Not to be noticed or to try to bribe God.
What is one main idea about the right motivation for everything you do woven through Matthew 6? Seek Heavenly treasures, not earthly ones.
Worry- Pages 118-119
What are 6 reasons we should not worry?
The stuff of life- Life is much more than food or clothes. Don’t scheme and worry how you are going to get more earthly things.
More than Sparrows- You are so valued in God’s eyes. You are worth a whole lot more to the birds and He feeds them.
Trashing Your time. Anxiety is pointless. Worry takes away your life and it adds zero to your life span.
Leaves and Petals versus Royal Robes- God clothes the flowers of the field with beauty and elegance. We don’t have to go out of the house wearing rags. He will do the same for us.
Children of the King- It doesn’t make sense the children of God have the wealthiest Father in the universe. He will provide all our needs.
Omniscient Father- God already knows what we need and will provide.
One day at a time- Tomorrow can worry about itself. God will give us strength to handle the problems that come today…..not the umpteen problems we think are coming.
How does the teaching about the speck and the beam clarify what Jesus meant in Matthew 7:1? Do not judge or you too will be judged.
Take stock of your own condition first before you judge others.
How could we summarize the main point of Jesus’ sermon in one sentence? DO unto others as you would have them do unto you.
What are the three application Jesus makes at the end of His sermon?
1. It is the narrow road NOT the broad road that leads to life.
2. Beware the false prophets, you will know them by their fruits
3. If you do what I say, your life will be on a firm foundation, if not it won’t last
Contrast the two gates and what they represent
Narrow- hard but leads to life
Broad – Easy but leads to destruction
How does Jesus illustrate the difference between people who do the will of the Father and those who don’t? Wise man- Rock Foolish Man – sand.
What did Jesus’ miracles prover? He was the promised Messiah.
What does the healing of the Centurion’s servant teach about the kingdom of God?
Gentiles who have faith will be included in the kingdom of God. Jews who don’t have faith will be excluded.
What is the root cause of all of humankind’s physical and Spiritual problems? In light of that? What were Jesus’ miracles doing?
Preview to the total redemption that is coming to reverse the Curse.
What authority did Jesus prove that He had when He healed the paralytic? How did that healing prove it? The power to forgive sins.
No one could verify his claim to forgive sins, but they could verify His claim of having power to heal. If one was true, then the other was true as well.
What do ALL Jesus’ miracle reverse? The curse as a foretaste of what’s to come.
Discuss some main differences between the Pharisees and the Sadducees and then why did they join forces against Jesus. What did each group stand to lose? Page 149 in textbook.
What did the healed paralytic do that enraged the Pharisees and began their argument with Jesus? He picked up His mat and carried it on the Sabbath.
What had been made equal to God’s Law? Why did Jesus refuse to abide by these things?
Human tradition had been made equal with God’s law.
To follow these would have undermined God’ law and God’s care for His people.
Contrast the two types of blindness in the account of the man born blind. Contrast the two causes and types of blindness?
Physical blindness- man born blind neither his sin nor his parents sin was the cause but God’s good plan to reveal the glory of Christ.
Spiritual Blindness- The Pharisees were to blame for their own persistent spiritual blindness.
Summarize the three responses to Christ in this story.
Pharisees- unreasonable and unjust rejection to maintain their own authority because of their evil hearts.
Parents- fearful timidity because they didn’t want to be excommunicated from their community and to experience shame, rejection and ostracism that would come with that. Feared people more than God.
Blind Mind who was healed- Grateful belief, worship and public testimony because of what Christ had done for him. Convinced by the miracle that Jesus was from God.
Explain four reasons Christ’s disciples should not fear when they minister under persecution.
1. Everything will come to light and be made right in the end.
2. Humans can kill the body, but God can send both body and soul to hell forever.
3. God takes care of His disciples.
4. Staying strong in persecution is evidence that God will confess their names in heaven. Perseverance is evidence of true faith.