We are off and running…. we have had a few bumps and had to make a few adjustments, but we are thankful and blessed to be back in school with the students. Please be patient with us in any additional adjustments that will need to be made.
The extreme heat this past week has provided another challenge, but we have endured. The staff at the main building noticed that the building seemed cooler than it would have last year during the heat. We believe it is due to the new roof. What an added benefit to the blessing of a new roof. No more leaks and cooler classrooms.
We are NOT sending home the Falcon Connection this year by hard copy. Please check the website (Falcon Connection) for new information.
Fun Lunch Online
Look for Fun Lunch Order Form and instructions for ordering online on the website. A pink hard copy was also sent home last week to explain the new procedure.
The early release time has not allowed students to have a study hall in their schedule. We want to focus on getting the instruction times covered while they are at school and have them use the extra time provided by early release as a study hall.
See Saw is an online learning platform that we will be using this year. We will be using it to give assignments and communication with the students throughout the year. 5th-12th grade students will be getting their login codes on September 8. Students must check their See Saw accounts for homework when they are absent from school.
Due to the extra procedure needed to start the school year, we did not discuss dress code until Monday, August 31. The dress code has not changed from last year. We will need to start addressing the dress code violations this week. We would appreciate your support. If you need any further guidance, we have a dress code brochure in the office.
Listed below are some GENERAL GUIDELINES for dress code.
Clothes should be neat, clean, and MODEST.
No holes in clothing
Sleeveless is allowed with at least a 2-1/2 inch width and tight around the arm and shoulder.
No clothes should be worn inside out
No skin showing at the waist
No under garments should be showing
No unnatural hair color and hair should be neat, clean, and well groomed.
No facial hair
Hats may not be worn during the school day.
Shorts must have at least a 6 inch inseam.
Skirts or dresses- No shorter than 3 inches above knee
Tops must be modest. To check if appropriate put thumbs under your underarm and imagine a line across. You top must be at that line or above.
Tights must have a top/dress that is 3 inches above the knee.
Leggings must have a loose fitting long blouse or shirt that covers both the front and back.
Your prayers are appreciated as both students and staff continue to adjust to new procedures. We are thankful for your support!!
He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in HIM I trust.”
Trusting Him for strength and protection,
Elementary Seesaw Update
Part of our “Back to School” plan includes bettering our online communication tools with you at home. One of the avenues that we will be using is Seesaw. Seesaw is a family of free apps for use by students and their families. We used Seesaw during Remote Learning in the Spring…so many of you are already familiar with it. One added piece this fall is the Seesaw Family app. Teachers will be using the Family app to communicate with you, the parent. There is a hand-out in your login codes packet (that was sent home on Wednesday, August 26) that helps to explain the difference between the Class app and the Family app. We will not be using FAITH Folders this year, so it will be extremely important that you check your Family app daily for important messages and classroom updates. Remember, we are all learning this new technology, so we will take it slow and help each other as we move forward.
We are excited to be able to add Seesaw to our school day. We continue to move forward in 2020!!
In case you were wondering…
How Do I Add Another Child to My Family Account?
Follow these instructions to add your child’s new journal to your existing account. You can also follow these instructions to add another child to your account.
With the QR Code (On iOS, Android, Chrome or Firefox):
- Sign in to your family account.
- Tap your profile icon (top left).
- Tap “+ Add Journal”.
- Scan the QR code or enter the code on the handout from your child’s teacher.
Arrival time for students is 7:50- 8:10. Students temperatures will be taken by staff before they enter the building. Our current plan is to take them at the car. When students enter the building they will go directly to their lockers and then to their first hour class. First hour begins at 8:15. Students who arrive after 8:10 will have to go through the front door and wait in the foyer for their temperature check. Parents will be asked to stay until they see a green card in the window.
Dismissal time is 2:35 for 5th and 6th grade, and 2:40 for 7th-12th.
We will NOT be asking a checklist of questions regarding the COVID 19 symptoms when your child arrives. We are believing that you are all very much aware of the symptoms to look for and will keep your child(ren) home if they are exhibiting any of them. If your child has a temperature of 100 degrees or more when we do morning checks, they will not be able to stay. We want school to stay in session, and the best way we can do that is to work as a team.
We will be sharing much of our information this year on the school’s website – fcsfalcons.com. Our weekly Monday Note will be exclusively on the website. We will continue to do principal posts and updates to keep you informed. Please check it regularly for updates on school information.
Calendar changes – There is an updated calendar on the website.
September 3 and 4 will be NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS. We have added these days as staff in-service days.
We are aware that some of the supplies on the supply list are very difficult to find right now. If you are unable to purchase them now, just bring them in when you can find them.
We will be offering our hot lunch program this year. We will have 2 microwaves available during lunch. Mrs. Hauck will be monitoring them and wiping the buttons after use. Keep in mind it will take longer for students to get items heated. Please limit your items to things that heat quickly in order to reduce the waiting for others.
Social Distancing and Sanitation
We have taken many steps to keep our students and staff as safe as possible during the school day. It is our desire that we can make the day feel as “normal” as possible under current restrictions and protocols required by IDPH and State. Some of the measures we are taking include: limiting class size, distancing desks, directional arrows in the hallways, limited numbers in bathrooms, sanitizing between classes and after school. We will work with students to help them understand the value of following these protocol. Please help us by encouraging cooperation and positive attitude.
Leslie Augenstine is our new athletic director. She will be posting information on the new sports schedule soon.
We are stepping into 2020-2021 school year with confidence that God is in control and He will lead us and guide us. We are facing different obstacles this year than other years, BUT God has always been faithful in helping us overcome the obstacles we face in ministry. He is FAITHFUL and HE will do it again.
Serving Him Together,
We are excited that the start of school is here! We have missed our students and are looking forward to being able to see them once again. In preparation for Monday, August 17, I wanted to take a moment to share with you a few procedures and notes for the days ahead.
- Drop-off for Grades 1-4 begins at 7:50 a.m. (Kindergarten drop-off begins at 11:45.) Before entering the school building, students will have temperatures checked by school staff using a contactless thermometer. We ask that your child wait in your car until a staff member comes to you. If the temperature is 100.0 or above, that student or visitor will not be allowed to enter the school building. Your child must be fever-free (below 100.0) for 24 hours (without the aid of fever-reducing medication) before returning to school. Also, by sending your child to school, you are verifying that he/she does not have any COVID-19 symptoms. (Anyone entering the building will have a temperature check.)
- Per IDPH guidelines, face masks will be worn indoors by students and staff regardless of social distancing. They will not need to be worn outdoors when social distancing is possible. We ask that students wear a CLEAN mask each day to school. Masks are to be provided by the student’s family. Also, over the next few days, take some time to let your child practice wearing a face mask. We will do our best to make this a positive experience for your child.
- For the 2020-2021 school year, lunch will be eaten in your child’s classroom. Please send a drink with your child’s lunch (juice box, water, etc). Microwaves will not be used this year. It is our plan to continue the Fun Lunch program. Please watch for more information on that once school starts.
- Elementary Afternoon Pick-up begins at 2:30p.m.
- We will not be using water bottles this year. Instead, we will be using disposable cups. If you sent a water bottle with your supplies, we will send it home with your child on Monday.
- More information will be sent home next week regarding Seesaw. We will be using this free app for homework and home/school communications.
- Coming next week—The Elementary Policy Manual will be sent home towards the beginning of the week. It will cover Dress Code, Tardies, Clip Chart System and more. Please be on the lookout for that important document.
Thank you for trusting us with the education of your child. We know that this has been a difficult time for all, and we know that routines and normalcy have been turned upside down. Please know that we are committed to making this the best year yet for your child. We will work hard to provide a safe place for them to grow, learn and shine! FCS really is a place where students SOAR!
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
Main Campus – 5th-12th grade
We are excited to welcome your student back to school on Monday, August 17th. The staff has worked hard to prepare for school this year. An information sheet will be coming home on Monday with your students and will be posted on the website (www.fcsfalcons.com) to share a more complete list of new protocols in response to the COVID situation.
Drop off time: Students can be dropped off between 7:50 and 8:10. Please be patient with us as we adjust to the new procedures.
Procedure for Monday drop-off: Please pull up to the drop off point as usual. Staff will come to the car and take temperatures. Students will be allowed to enter building if they have a temperature below 100 degrees. Staff will also be available to tell the students what room they report to for first hour. ALL STUDENTS MUST WEAR A MASK TO ENTER BUILDING!
When students enter the building they will:
1. Bring supplies (tissues, paper products, lunch supplies, etc.) to the gym. Tables will be set up for them to put their supplies.
2. Report to first hour class.
3. Locker assignments and schedules will be given during first hour.
New families – to drop off student, pull all the way down the driveway, and make a line along the field side. Follow the line to end of driveway…make a wide turn at the North end of the driveway and stop by the sidewalk on the building side. Follow same procedure for pick-up.
As always, we are trusting God to give us everything we need. We are seeking His wisdom through His word and prayer to help us navigate the changes we are having to make this year. Our desire is to keep students safe while we provide a “normal” school day for them. We covet your prayers and patience as we step into this school year.
Psalm 31:24 – Be STRONG and take heart, all you who HOPE in the LORD.
Trusting His leading and guiding,
Faith Christian School
Falcon Plan, Fall 2020
“We know that we are better when we can be together!”
Current Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) Guidelines—
- Guidelines apply to both public and non-public schools, PreK-12th
- Face masks are required indoors even when social distancing is possible.
- Face masks are not required outdoors when social distancing is possible.
- Gatherings limited to 50 people or less in one space.
Faith Christian School’s Response to IDPH Guidelines—
- FCS will follow the guidelines set forth by IDPH. Families will provide face masks for their student(s).
- Since face masks are not required outdoors when social distancing is possible, extra times OUTSIDE are being added to the daily schedule at both buildings. Also, outdoor classrooms are being completed for the start of school.
- Classroom Desks are being spaced apart to allow for greater distance between students.
- Plexi-glass sneeze guards are being built for teachers to stand behind during whole class instruction. Plexi-glass dividers are being placed between sinks in restrooms.
- Temperature Screenings will be conducted before entering the building.
- Non-essential visitors will be limited.
- Daily cleaning and disinfection of school buildings will be done.
- Class size is limited to 14 students per grade.
- Students will attend school on campus every day.
- Pre-school time has been changed to 8:15-11:00. Kindergarten has been adjusted to a half day (12:00-2:30).
- Dismissal times have been changed to allow for extra cleaning and less time in face masks.
- 5th-8th Grade—2:35
- 9th-12th Grade—2:40
Please know that the IDPH guidelines are ever-changing, and FCS administration is monitoring new developments as they become available. Any changes to the current plan for school in the fall will be communicated in a timely manner to parents and students.
“Excitement Grows for the New Faith Christian School Elementary Building!”
If you have driven by the old Grand Detour School just off Highway 2 north of Dixon, you have probably seen the activity taking place on the vacant building. Faith Christian School students and faculty are eagerly awaiting the opening of their new elementary campus at this site scheduled for this spring. Purchased last September by Faith Assembly Church on behalf of the school, the facility is under renovation in anticipation of Kindergarten through 4th grade students soon filling its classrooms.
On the exterior of the building, a new roof will be completed by the end of the month. The interior of the school is being updated with a new state of the art fire and security system, new classroom floors, and other exciting improvements that will allow teachers to enhance the classroom experience for their students. The school will include classrooms for five grades, an art/music room, gymnasium and a library. “This renovation project is being done with a high level of excellence that is consistent with and complements the excellence in education that or principal and teachers provide,” states Jeremy Heller, Project Manager.
In addition to the improvements taking place to the physical building, families and staff are looking forward to plans for an innovative outdoor area that will be used for both play and learning. Fallen trees have been cleared, and the ten acres of property will not only create room to build this outdoor learning center, but also will provide an abundance of space for students to play sports, games, and activities.
Faith Christian School is seeking financial partners for their vision to “SOAR into the Future”, which will provide Sauk Valley families an enhanced option for education that is committed to academic excellence and achievement within a strong Christian environment. For more information contact Faith Christian School 815-652-4806, or visit www.fcsfalcons.com.