Welcome students! I hope you are all doing well. We will be continuing in our textbook and student activities book. We will be watching a few Bible Project videos which I will post right here on the online learning tab. Please type out your answer to video questions and email them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
9th and 10th Grade Bible
Introduction to Section 4 The Sermon On The Mount (Part 2)
Try to write the Lord’s Prayer from memory. NO HELP FROM ANYONE OR ANYTHING. Save a copy for me.
Write what is the best prayer you have heard/ worst? What made them good or bad?
Sometimes we use repetitive prayers. Memories of bad or good?
What would you define prayer as?
Complete Prayer Journal 4.1 By Friday, March 5th
Read pages 100-106 in textbook and complete reading notes for Friday, March 5h
Motives For Doing Good
1. How does the introduction define the Beatitudes?
2. What must Jesus’s followers be in the world?
3. Jesus’ true followers have a righteousness that _________________________________
4. What is the big idea?
Welcome to Matthew 6
1. Why do Scribes and Pharisees do righteous things?
2. What does genuine righteousness seek?
3. What are the 5 ideas Jesus gives for those who seek a heavenly reward?
1. What extreme did some go to when giving to the poor?
2. What is the temptation for all of us when we give?
1. What should our motivation be in giving to others?
2. What is one thing you can do to show you are giving for the right reason?
Not Praying The Way the Gentiles Do
1. What does Jesus give us to show us how to pray?
2. How should we pray?
1. Public prayers can be _____________________________. Human hearts are bent in the wrong
______________________________., and they can take any good thing and ___________________
It for evil ____________________.
1. What is Jesus second warning?
2. Give two examples of prayers that are full of meaningless, repetitive words.
3. How should we talk to God?
4. What pattern did Jesus provide?
5. How should we view this pattern?
6. The Lord’s Prayer gives us _____________________________________________________
7. What is the warning against rosaries, long prayers and prayer wheels?
8. What are some truths about prayer for a child of God?
Complete the Scripture Activity by Monday, March 8th.
Our Father who art in __________________.
______________ be thy name.
Thy will be ________ on __________, as it is in heaven.
Give us this _____ our daily___________,
and ______________ us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who _____________ against us,
and ________ us not into temptation,
but _______________ us from evil. For thine is the
________________ and the _______________ and the glory
______ Father who _____ in heaven,
___________by thy name. Thy __________________ come
Thy ______ be done on ________, as it is in ___________.
______ us this _____ our daily ___________. ______
forgive us our __________________,
as we ________those who trespass __________ us,
and ________ us not into _________________,
but _________________ us from evil. For thine is the
_________________ and the _______________ and the
________________ for ever.
Our ________ who ___________ in Heaven,
_________________be ______ name.
_______ Kingdom come.
Thy ______ be _____ on earth, as it is ____ heaven.
______us this ____ our _______ bread,
and ________ us our _____________,
as we forgive those who _____________ against us,
and _______ us_____ into temptation,
but ______________ ______ from evil.
For thine is the ________________ and the ___________ and
the_____________. For _____________
Here is the Bible Review due Friday, March 5
1. In general, what is the Sermon on the Mount about? (Page 72)
2. Explain the characteristics of the people who are called blessed in four out of the eight Beatitudes. Pages 73-77
3. What was God’s original intent for mankind? Page 72
4. What does it mean to be blessed? Page 73
5. What does it mean to be pure in heart? Page 77
6. How do you make peace in a world that refuses to submit to God? Page 77
7. Why should followers of Jesus be like salt? Light? Page 82
8. What does it mean that Jesus fulfilled the Law? Page 83
9. Describe the kind of righteousness Jesus demands? Page 84
10. What does Jesus mean in saying we must be perfect? Page 85
11. What promise did God make to enable His followers (people) to become perfect? Page 85
12. What is always at the heart of murder? Page 86
13. What should you do if somebody else is angry with you? What can’t you do if you are angry with somebody else? Page 87
14. What did Jesus really mean when He talked about gouging out your eye or cutting off your hand? Page 88
15. What was the intended and original purpose of the Old Testament law about an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth? Page 92
16. Describe how we are to apply with wisdom Jesus’ teachings about getting even? Use other scripture to defend your answer. Page 92
17. Since Old Testament Scripture commanded that we ought to love our neighbor, what wrong conclusion had many people jumped to? Page 93
18. List three ways and briefly explain each one, on how you can follow Jesus” teachings about how to respond to enemies. Page 93
19. Describe God’s standards and expectations for His followers? Page 95
20. What does the Father provide even for people who hate Him? Page 93.
Learning for Life
1. Describe two scenarios in which you could live out the Beatitudes as you attempt to be salt and light in your home, church, school or community. 20 points
2. Differentiate between hypocritical and genuine righteousness in three of the six areas of the law that Jesus addressed. Identify patterns that need to change and how you plan to change.
The six areas are discussed in Matthew 5: 12-48 and in your textbook on pages 86-95.
You should have completed your reading notes for section 3.7.
Watch video on Ancient Law. Copy and paste into address bar OR google Bible project video ANCIENT LAW.
READ: Galilee Where Jesus Walked and fill out Reading Notes. This will be for a quiz grade.
Read Galilee: Where Jesus Walked Pages 96 and 97
Write 10 things from the introduction that Jesus did on or by the Sea of Galilee.
Cities Nearby: Read this section and write down the cities mentioned and the significance of each one.
Storms on the Lake
Why is this lake subject to storms?
Write 5 things that are still significant about the Lake and the region around it?
Answers to Relating Rightly to your Enemies
Love and Hate
1. Hating your enemies
2. Human nature is to hate enemies and rejoice when they are hurt.
3. Cruelty to one another
Responding to Enemies
1. You should respond by asking for God’s grace to love the person you would otherwise hate.
2. Bless, do good and Pray
Motivated by God’s Love
1. Shows something about you…you will show you are a true child of God
2. Love …..image of the king
Righteous from the inside out
1. Be perfect even as your Father in Heaven is perfect
2. Kindness, He gives food, health and other enjoyments of life
3. Complete and wholehearted in following His words.
4. Angry, lustful, deceitful or revengeful
5. Loving, honest, pure, and merciful
6. Holy Spirit, day by day
Class work- Student Activity 3.5- pages 49 and 50
Homework- Due Friday, Feb.26
Read section 3.6 Keeping your word and not getting even.
Fill our reading notes below.
Do the Scripture memory activity- Under the reading notes
Keeping Your Word and Not Getting Even
If You Say So
What is an oath?
What kind of people often usually swear even outside of court?
What is the problem with saying, “ I swear to God.”
What did the Jews replace God’s name with and what is the problem with it?
Why shouldn’t oaths be necessary in God’s Kingdom?
An Eye for an Eye
What did the Biblical principle of an eye for an eye refer to? Explain this principle.
What had Jewish people this principle into?
What 2 things help us properly understand what Jesus self-sacrifice Jesus was commanding?
Scripture Memory: Due Thursday, March 4
Page 175 in Student activity books.
But I say unto you, That _____________________________ is angry with his brother without a
_________________ shall be in danger of __________________________: and whoever shall say to
His brother, ___________ , shall be in _______________ of the council: but whosoever shall say,
Thou __________________, shall be in danger of hell _________________.
But I say unto ____________, that whosoever is ________________ with his ________________
Without a cause shall be in _________________ of __________________: and ____________________
Shall say to his __________________, Raca, shall be in ___________________ of the
________________: but whosoever shall say, “ Thou fool, shall be in ___________________ of
_______________ I say unto you, That _____________________ is __________________ with his
_________________ without a __________________ shall be in danger of the
________________________: and whosoever shall say to _______________ brother, ____________,
Shall be in danger of the _________________: but whosoever shall _______________, Thou fool, shall
be in __________________ of hell fire.
Write the complete verse one time.
Read over the significance of the verse in your student activity book.
Do prayer Journal 3.3 on page 150 in student activity book.
Read pages 86 and 87 in textbook and fill out reading notes.
Holding Your Temper and Your Tongue
What behavior did Sarah’s dad struggle with? How did this affect other people?
What did his brother compare his anger to?
How did Sarah’s dad make things right and what response did he receive from family and friends?
The Heart of Murder
What is at the heart of murder?
Jesus knows the ___________________________ of the human heart.
He aims to tear murder up at its _________________ by keeping people from anger and
____________________ they are often guilty of.
What are 2 problems (reasons) we should realize in thinking we can beat the odds and not let our anger lead to murder?
Sin isn’t only bad when it is ____________________ bad. Sin is always bad because of _____________
we sin against. When we sin it is against: _________________ and His ___________________
The Result of Murder and Anger
What do your angry words reveal about your feelings toward the person you are angry at?
The less ________________ that person has in your eyes, the more ________________ your words will be.
_______________________ a person’s spirit through the kind of angry speech is one of the roots of
What is waiting for a person who always acts in anger and attacking someone with their words?
Making things Right
What should you do if you are angry with someone or they are angry with you?
What do you have to do before your worship is acceptable to God?
What kinds of sin make people deserving of hell?
What was Jesus really saying about how we overcome our sin problems?
Memory verse due tomorrow. Feb.9 Page 175 in Student Activity Book Section 3.3. Know the verse and significance.
Read Section 3.2 pages 76-78 and fill out the reading notes.
Living For the King
Hungering for Righteousness
What does God promise in Psalm 37?
What does Isaiah say persecuted righteous poor will be called?
Mercy for the Merciful
What does Psalm 37:7 and 8 tell us?
What does having mercy for people mean?
Beside forgiveness, what else is a result of showing mercy?
Do you believe the example given in the book about showing love is fair and accurate?
The Pure in Heart
What kind of person does Psalm 24 tell us will be able to see the God of the universe?
What is Jesus biggest concern about a person?
Describe a pure heart.
What will happen if you love sin? What will happen if you love God?
God’s Children Making Peace
What does peace refer to in the Bible?
When the world is at peace, everything is working ____________________________________________
What does Isaiah tell us is a way to make peace in a world that refuses to submit to God?
Right now, peace happens how?
Rewards for Persecuted
Jesus and Paul tell us that the Godly will be _________________________.
What are we promised if we are persecuted for following God.
What is the promise ( reward) we will be given?
What should we ask God for?