I am attaching below the vocabulary words for this week. There will be a quiz over them on Friday. The quiz is matching on the front. Then, on the back, there are 10 sentences where you have to fill in the correct word.
You can go study the words on the Quizlet app. I will put the words up today or tomorrow. In order to find the list, go to quizlet.com. Then, search my username. It is beth_morse86. I am the first person that pops up, and there is a butterfly for my picture. If you go to classes, there will be one made for High School 2020-2021. Then, it will be labeled High School vocab 2020-2021. Let me know if you have any questions.
For tonight’s homework, you need to read chapters 3-5 and do a reader’s response. It is not due until Wednesday because we are doing writing tomorrow.
Vocab for the week:
Vocabulary List 1
- Abase (v): to lower in reputation or estimation
- Abate (v): to lessen in intensity, degree or amount
- Babble (v): to utter words or sounds imperfectly or without meaning
- Balk (v): obstacle, purposely to get in the way of
- Cacophony (n): harsh, discordant sound; dissonance
- Cadence (n): rhythmic flow of poetry; marching beat
- Dainty (adj): delicate, exquisite
- Daunt (v): to discourage or intimidate
- Ebb (v): to fade away, recede
- Ebullient (adj): full of energy and confidence
- Fabricated (adj): made up; false; manufactured
- Façade (n): front elevation of building; false appearance or demeanor
- Gaffe (n): blunder; social mistake
- Gainsay (v): to deny or contradict
- Hallowed (adj): regarded as sacred